Week 13 - Balaam’s Donkey -
Bible Time FUN Through the Bible
Kids Bible Lesson 13 - Balaam’s Donkey
Welcome to week 13!
This week the kids learn about Balaam and his talking donkey. This story is full of fun Bible lessons. Children will learn that God can get our attention through anything, even a cute talking donkey. They will also learn to stop and listen to God’s direction, God protects his people and that no one can curse what God has already blessed.
Have fun learning this great story!
If you haven’t read the introduction to Bible Time yet, I recommend you read the outline about the Bible lessons for children first.
Children's bible lesson about Balaam’s Donkey - Key Concepts
The key concepts that we focused on this week are:
God blesses his people.
We need to stop and listen to God’s direction.
God helps us when we obey him.
You can also come up with your own key concepts.
Bible Verse for kids
The Bible verse for this lesson is Numbers 22:20 “Go with them, but do only what I tell you”.
This Bible verse should be simple enough for your toddler to memorize after a week of practice.
Bible Story Tips
We read “Balaam’s Donkey” beginning on page 25 of the children's Bible Storybook called Bible-Time Stories and Rhymes.
During story, draw attention to the key concepts for this lesson.
Don't forget to ask questions related to the story, for example, “What did the king want Balaam to do?”
The girls learned that God will bless and protect his people.
After the Bible story and discussion session, we stand up and do the interactive rhyme found in the Bible storybook.
After the story and rhyme, we say a prayer that is related to the Bible story. You can either have your children repeat after you or allow them to come up with their own prayer.
Bible Song about Balaam’s Donkey
The Bible song for this week is "Count Your Blessings".
We cast the song from YouTube to the television, so our children can see the motions on the big screen.
bible Activities about Balaam’s Donkey
We did different Bible activities each day - related to Balaam’s Donkey. We also have a selection of free Bible activities about Balaam’s Donkey here.
The Bible Time Family Fun Pack includes all of the Bible activities printed for your convenience, learn more here. Some activities included:
Balaam’s Donkey bible coloring Page
While our daughters colored the Balaam’s Donkey Bible Coloring Page, we talked about how God had to make sure Balaam’s heart was in the right place before he got to the king.
Talking Donkey bible Craft
God wanted to remind Balaam - say only what God tells him. God allowed Balaam’s donkey to speak so that he can get Balaam’s attention.
- This Bible craft is a reminder of how God will try and get our attention.
- This craft can be made by cutting a donkey shape out of white construction paper. Cut the mouth part, so that it separates in two parts. Use a metal brad to reconnect the mouth, so that it opens and closes like a donkey talking. (We used the “Talking Donkey Craft” found in the Bible Time Family Fun Pack).
- Remind the children that God can use anything to get our attention.
Showers of Blessings Bible Activity
King Balaak wanted Balaam to curse the Israelites, but God had Balaam bless them instead.
- God wants to bless us because he loves us.
- We did an activity to serve as a reminder of all the many blessings God rains down on us.
- For instructions on how to do this Bible activity, go to the Showers of Blessings Bible Activity.
Freeze Dance Bible game
Balaam thought that he could take matters into his own hands, but God reminded him to stop and listen for his direction.
- We played a fun game that demonstrated what we need to do when we are faced with something we don’t understand. The directions are as follows:
Here’s how to play:
1. Explain to the children that when we do not know what to do, we should freeze and listen for God’s direction.
2. Show the children how to stop and listen for God’s direction through a game of freeze dance.
3. Turn on some music and tell the children to dance. During the song, pause the music several times when you want them to freeze.
I reminded the girls that there will be times in our lives when we need to stop and listen to Gods direction.
Count Your Blessings Bible activity
This king thought that he would curse God’s people but God only allowed Balaam to speak blessings on his people.
God blesses us all the time, but sometimes we don’t stop to notice them. In this activity we made a blessings jar so we can note the different ways God blesses our family.
The instructions are below:
Talking Donkey Bible Puppet
When Balaam’s donkey spoke it shocked Balaam so much that he paused to listen. Then God reminded Balaam that he need to do only what God asked.
We made a talking donkey using a paper bag and the donkey template found in the Talking Donkey Bible Puppet.
I used the talking donkey to tell the Bible story from the donkey’s point of view.
The girls loved interacting with Balaam’s donkey. They asked him questions and answered the questions that the donkey asked them.
It was fun to see their excitement!
1. Explain that God blesses us all that time.
2. Discuss what blessings they currently have. (Like food and clothing)
3. Decorate the jar.
4. Explain how the “blessings jar works”: whenever anyone in the family receives a blessing, write it down on a small piece of paper, fold it, and place it in the jar.
5. Read the blessings throughout the week.
- Remind the children that we should recognize and be thankful for each blessing God gives.
An Angel Along the Way bible puzzle
Balaam headed to see the king, God saw his heart and wanted to make sure Balaam did what God asked.
- The girls did a great job connecting the dots to see what stopped Balaam in his tracks so that God can remind him to do what he asked.
- Using the Angel Along the Way Bible Puzzle, the girls did a great job connecting the dots to see what stopped Balaam in his tracks so that God can remind him to do what he asked.
- We reminded the girls that God will help us to obey.
I hope you enjoyed week 13 of Bible Time FUN Through the Bible. Please comment or share using #bibletimefun.
Don't forget, the Bible Time Family Fun Pack includes all these activities, printed for your convenience. Learn more about the Bible Time Family Fun Pack Subscription Box.
10. Baby Moses
13. Balaam’s Donkey
16. Gideon's Army
More to come....
Children's Bible Lessons
There are 52 children's Bible lessons, one for each week of the year.
Every lesson, craft and activity is simple, fun and interactive - tailored for toddlers & Preschoolers!!
To begin, select a lesson.