Week 15 - The Sun Stands Still -
Bible Time FUN Through the Bible
Kids Bible Lesson 15 - The Sun Stands Still
The Sun Stands Still
Welcome to week 15!
This week the children learn about the day the sun and moon stood still. Joshua needed daylight for a little longer to defeat his enemies during battle, so he prayed and asked God to make the sun stand still. Miraculously, God did this for him. This Bible story shows that nothing is too hard for God to do, and we should not be scared to ask God to do something big. When God is on our side, we can be sure we will win no matter how difficult it may seem.
Enjoy this story of God’s miraculous power!
If you haven’t read the introduction to Bible Time yet, I recommend you read the outline about the Bible lessons for children first.
Children's bible lesson about the sun stands still - Key Concepts
The key concepts that we focused on this week are:
God is able to do anything.
We can do great things with God’s help.
Don’t be scared to ask God for something big.
You can also come up with your own key concepts.
Bible Verse for kids
The Bible verse for this lesson is Joshua 10:13
“So the sun stood still, and the moon stopped”.
This Bible verse should be simple enough for your toddler to memorize after a week of practice.
Bible Story Tips
We read “The Sun Stands Still” beginning on page 29 of the children's Bible Storybook called Bible-Time Stories and Rhymes.
During story, draw attention to the key concepts for this lesson.
Don't forget to ask questions related to the story, for example, “How many armies fought against the Israelites?”
The girls saw how God is able to do anything and we should not be scared to ask him for something big.
After the Bible story and discussion session, we stand up and do the interactive rhyme found in the Bible storybook.
After the story and rhyme, we say a prayer that is related to the Bible story. You can either have your children repeat after you or allow them to come up with their own prayer.
Bible Song about the sun stands still
The Bible song for this week is "It’s Possible with God".
We cast the song from YouTube to the television, so our children can see the motions on the big screen.
bible Activities about the sun stands still
We did different Bible activities each day - related to The Sun Stands Still. We also have a selection of free Bible activities about The Sun Stands Still here.
The Bible Time Family Fun Pack includes all of the Bible activities printed for your convenience, learn more here. Some activities included:
the sun stands still bible coloring Page
While our daughters colored the Sun Stands Still Bible Coloring Page, we talked about how God answered Joshua’s request for the and the moon to stand still.
prayer power bible craft
Joshua asked for something big and God did what Joshua asked.
- In this creative activity, the girls made a praying hands craft to remind them that there’s power in prayer.
- While we had fun making the fun Prayer Power Bible Craft, I reminded the girls not to be scared to do something big.
Sun and Moon Mobile Bible craft activity
Joshua had a request for God that was not too big. For about one day the sun and moon stood still.
- We created this Bible craft to be a reminder of the big things God can do.
- This kids Bible craft can be made by cutting a sun, a moon and world shape out of cardstock or construction paper.
- Put two holes on the side of the world shape and one hole in the top of the sun and the top of the moon.
- Use yarn or string to connect the sun and moon to the world. (We used the “Sun and Moon Mobile Craft Activity” found in the Bible Time Family Fun Pack.)
- Remind the children that anything is possible with God.
A Different Day Bible Activity
The day the sun and moon stood still was a day like no other and there has never been a day like it.
- The girls used "A Different Day Bible Activity" that helped demonstrate there was something different about this day.
We reminded that our daughters that God can do anything.
Sun Time Bible Project
God stopped the sun so that the Israelites could win the battle. The rising and setting of the sun can help us tell time.
In this Bible project, we showed the girls how a sundial works.
We talked about how the sun rises and sets every day and that the sun standing still is a miracle that can only be done by God.
- This project for pre-schoolers can be made with a clock face, a paper plate and a pencil.
- Attach the clock face to a paper plate, then push a pencil through the center.
- On a sunny day, place the sundial outside and see how well it tells the time.
- Be sure to position the sundial with the “12” facing in the North position to determine the current time accurately. (We used the “Sun Time Bible Project” found in the Bible Time Family Fun Pack.)
- We reminded the girls that it is God that set the sun and moon in motion.
Be Still Bible Game
When the sun stood still, the extra light helped the Israelites win the battle. We played a Bible game that tested the girl’s ability to be still like the sun.
The directions are:
- Explain to the children that with God’s help, we can do great things....we just have to ask.
- Have one child hold the sun and you or another child, hold the moon.
- Ask the children stand in different poses, according to their abilities. (Such as have them stand on one foot, tip-toes and so on).
We reminded the girls that just like Joshua, we can do amazing things with God's help.
Sun Summary bible Activity
With Gods help the Israelites defeated five Amorite armies. There were many events that led to their miraculous victory.
- We used the Sun Summary Bible Activity, to summarize the Bible story in a fun way.
- We reminded the girls that we can do great things with God’s help.
I hope you enjoyed week 15 of Bible Time FUN Through the Bible. Please comment or share using #bibletimefun.
Don't forget, the Bible Time Family Fun Pack includes all these activities, printed for your convenience. Learn more about the Bible Time Family Fun Pack Subscription Box.
19. Give us a King
More to come....
Children's Bible Lessons
There are 52 children's Bible lessons, one for each week of the year.
Every lesson, craft and activity is simple, fun and
interactive - tailored for toddlers & Preschoolers!!
To begin, select a lesson.