Week 7 - Sodom and Gomorrah -
Bible Time FUN Through the Bible
Kids Bible Lesson 7 - Sodom and Gomorrah
Week 7 the girls learned about the cities of Sodom and Gomorrah.
This is a story about God’s judgment and mercy. The point we tried to drive home is that God wanted to get rid of the wickedness before it spread, but he did save those who were righteous. Enjoy!
If you haven’t read the introduction to Bible Time yet, I recommend you read the outline about the Bible lessons for children first.
Children's bible lesson about Sodom and Gomorrah - Key Concepts
The key concepts that we focused on this week are:
We must listen to God and follow his instructions.
God loves us all, but must discipline evil.
God will save those who do right.
You can also come up with your own key concepts.
Bible Verse for kids
The Bible verse for this lesson is Genesis 18:20 ICB “I have heard many things against the people of Sodom and Gomorrah”.
This Bible verse should be simple enough for your toddler to memorize after a week of practice.
Bible Story Tips
We read the story “Sodom and Gomorrah” beginning on page 13 of the children's Bible Storybook called Bible-Time Stories and Rhymes.
During story, draw attention to the key concepts for this lesson.
Don't forget to ask questions related to the story, for example, “Why did God have to destroy Sodom and Gomorrah?”
We taught our daughters that just sometimes God has to destroy wickedness before it spreads, but he will save those who are righteous.
After the Bible story and discussion session, we stand up and do the interactive rhyme found in the Bible storybook.
After the story and rhyme, we say a prayer that is related to the Bible story. You can either have your children repeat after you or allow them to come up with their own prayer.
Bible Song about Sodom and Gomorrah
The Bible song for this week is "This Little Light of Mine".
We cast the song from YouTube to the television, so our children can see the motions on the big screen.
bible Activities about Sodom and Gomorrah
We did different Bible activities each day - related to the story Sodom and Gomorrah. We also have a selection of free Bible activities about Sodom and Gomorrah here.
The Bible Time Family Fun Pack includes all of the Bible activities printed for your convenience, learn more here. Some activities included:
Sodom and Gomorrah coloring Page
While our daughters colored the Sodom and Gomorrah Bible Coloring Page, we talked about how God saved Lot and his family from the burning city.
The Cities Destroyed bible Craft
During this Bible craft, we explained to the girls that the people of Sodom and Gomorrah had become very bad and God had to destroy these two cities so the evil did not spread.
I reminded them that God loves us but he must discipline evil.
- The craft can be made cutting the shape of city walls out of brown construction paper and the shape of fire out of orange construction paper (fold the walls to make them 3D).
- Have the children glue the fire to the top of the city walls. (We used the “Cities Destroyed “Craft found in the Bible Time Family Fun Pack.
Lot’s Wife Turns to Salt Bible Activity
I asked the girls why they think Lot’s wife looked back. My oldest, Allie, said, “because her things were on fire.”
- It’s very important to listen to God and to follow his instructions in all situations. Lot’s wife did not listen to the command to not look back and as a result she was turned to a pillar of salt.
- We did an activity where the girls turned Lot’s wife into salt. You can find the instructions to the Lot’s Wife Turns to Salt Bible Activity here.
Flee from Wrong Bible game
It’s never too early to teach children right from wrong. Lot and his family had to flee from all the wrong that was happening in their city before it was destroyed.
For this activity we played a game that helps children distinguish right from wrong.
The instructions are:
- Tell the children that Lot’s family had to flee from their home because of all the bad behaviors going on in the city.
- Talk to the children about good and bad behaviors. (Like it’s good to listen to Mom and Dad or it’s wrong to hit someone.)
- When you name a good behavior, have the children run to you. When you name a bad behavior, have the children run away from you.
- I reminded the girls that we must run to God in order to be good.
Follow My Instructions Bible Activity
This was a fun activity that tested the girl’s ability to follow instructions that I gave them.
Run for the Hills Bible Game
This was a fun game the girls wanted to play again and again!
We used a spinner we had around the house and paperclips for game pieces for the Run for the Hills Bible Game.
We told the girls that God rescued Lot and his family because they did what was right.
- We gave the girls age appropriate instructions and saw how well they could follow the instructions.
- We reminded the girls that we must listen to the instructions that God gives us.
(We used the Follow My Instructions Cards found in the Bible Time Family Fun Pack.)
The Fall of Two Cities Bible Activity
We talked about right and wrong a lot during this lesson and this fun activity helped reinforce all we talked about. I reminded the girls that when we do bad things there are consequences.
- The girls did a great job distinguishing right from wrong, using the Fall of Two Cities Bible Activity.
I hope you enjoyed week 7 of Bible Time FUN Through the Bible. Please comment or share using #bibletimefun.
Don't forget, the Bible Time Family Fun Pack includes all these activities, printed for your convenience. Learn more about the Bible Time Family Fun Pack Subscription Box.
Children's Bible Lessons
There are 52 children's Bible lessons, one for each week of the year. I tailored the lessons to fit the age of my children by making them simple and interactive
To begin, select a lesson.
7. Sodom and Gomorrah
1. Coming soon